Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hasbro Q&A Roundup - Week of June 20th, 2008  (Read 3301 times)
Gold 5
War Room Staff
Jedi Council Member

Stay on target!

« on: June 21, 2008, 02:07:43 AM »

Hasbro Q&A Roundup - Week of June 20th, 2008

JEDI TEMPLE ARCHIVES

QUESTION:  It's interesting to periodically ask the staff at Hasbro what characters they happen to be lobbying for as the line continues to be planned.  Can we press the Hasbro staff for their own wishlists of OT and PT characters that they'd like to get into the 2009 line?

ANSWER:  We think you are asking more about those "personal favorites" that the team members suggest for those few, valuable, hotly contested "collector-focused" figure spots, resulting in debates that often generate fisticuffs and parking lot sabotage when team members don't get their way. But we digress....We went around the team and surveyed, and some personal-favorite figures that have yet to make it into the lineup include OTC characters, like, more Cantina patrons including Bom Vindin and, among others, Yerka Mig, Toryn Farr and Fozec (and other Jabba's palace denizens), while Prequel Trilogy figures we'd like to see someday include Ann & Tann Gella, additional pod racer pilots (the Gran especially), Varactyl, FA-4, the Mon Calamari dancers from the opera, Lava Flea, and Cin Drallig.  We have not yet drawn up 2010m but will soon, and we're hopeful that some of these will make the cut.

QUESTION:  Thus far we've only seen a single wave of figures from THE CLONE WARS line.  While that wave presents some major characters, there are some obvious ommissions in the lineup considering all of the characters we've seen in glimpses of the upcoming movie & television series.  We know you'd love to tell us who some of the characters are in subsequent waves, and maybe even give us a look at a figure like say...Ahsoka Tano, who appears to be a significant player!  And how soon after the iniitial wave can we expect a followup wave of figures?

ANSWER:  Unfortunately, there will be a sizeable gap between the first wave of figures and the second wave, but Ahsoka *will* be in the lineup this Fall. Additional details on subsequent waves will be revealed at Comic-Con International.

QUESTION:  We've been getting indications that there's an A NEW HOPE wave on the way as part of THE LEGACY COLLECTION later on this year.  And Hasbro has openly confirmed figures like Han Solo in Stormtrooper gear, previously mentioned Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper gear, and hinted about a Commander Praji figure.  Will this wave be themed around A NEW HOPE as a whole, including things like Cantina characters along with Death Star or Rebel themed characters, or can we expect a more focused theme centering on a specific focus from within the movie?

ANSWER:  The wave will be focued generally on A New Hope and will include figures from various scenes, such as Luke and Han in Stormtrooper disguise, as well as several Cantina aliens and a few other tempting morsels.  It is a great wave and will also be late; while we were hoping for December on shelf, it may slip to January.  But trust us, it'll be worth the wait.

Continuing through the collecting community:

BANTHA SKULL

QUESTION:  Will we see characters from the upcoming Clone Wars animated movie/series made in the traditional realistically-styled (Legacy Collection or future) line? Is this dependent on the success of the Clone Wars animated line? (TheKid)

ANSWER:  We have plans to produce the characters from the Clone Wars series in the realistic style. We are concentrating our efforts and tooling on making the most of each line.

QUESTION:  Everyone loves Boba Fett. Animated and McFett versions seemed to do well, and I’ve yet to find an Evolutions pack on the shelf, so clearly he’s a solid character choice for more version. What’s up next? The pre-production version that so many photos exist of that was the planned version to appear in ESB until it was stolen? The Pre-pro version with the eye-markings on the helmet as featured in the Chronicles book (which was also stolen)? (Ruadh)

ANSWER:  That’s an interesting question, since we have been on a bit of a Boba run lately. We actually don’t have a “new” Boba slotted in for 2009, but will be looking to what new things we can do for him in 2010. No word on that yet. Your suggestions are interesting and we’ll consider them.

QUESTION:  Pictures of the upcoming Imperial Pilots Evolutions set have recently been posted. Is there a possibility for a running change (similar to the Clonetroooper to Stormtrooper Evolutions set) which might include figures such as an AOTC-accurate yellow clone pilot, an ROTS-era clone pilot with different markings, and a generic TIE Pilot with a closed mask? (streams)

ANSWER:  We are working on a successor to his pack as well that will have some of the characters you suggest, but it will not be available until Spring 2009.

GALACTIC HUNTER

QUESTION:  If Hasbro were designing the Spacetrooper figure that we see outside of The Death Star in Star Wars: A New Hope, would it be possible that the figure would have a removable helmet with Joe Johnston's likeness underneath? (Reference photos show him in the black body glove getting suited up for the scene, so it would be a nice nod to one of the heroes behind-the-scenes.)

ANSWER:  While we couldn’t do Joe Johnston's likeness, there may be some coincidental resemblance.

QUESTION:  Now that the Pandora's Box of The Clone Wars has opened up, might we see some of the cool concepts developed for Revenge of the Sith trickle into toy play? (Things like Plo Koon's wrist lightsaber thingie or an eye-patched Ki-Adi Mundi? Nobody said the injury was permanent, right? Bacta works miracles.)

ANSWER:  We’ll be including that interpretation of Plo Koon’s gauntlet saber as a feature accessory for a Clone Wars animated basic figure. However, we won't be exploring the eye-patched Ki-Adi-Mundi, unless it shows up in the animation in a significant enough way to develop a figure.

QUESTION:  Okay, the Comic-Con Exclusive Disturbance in the Force set looks cool. However, I believe there was mention in one of the previous Q&A sessions about the possibility of a second version, perhaps using the original sequence's Mutant Monkey-Eyed Emperor concept. There have also been various rumblings about "large-ish" items, including something you guys would like to re-do from the original Kenner line if the BMF Millennium Falcon and AT-TE do well. Could there be some sort of connection between the two? Mayhap a certain large, triangular ship that had a playset motif back in the day? Could that be a hypothetically feasible idea? Because, ya know, it'd be totally cool to have both versions of the Talking Floating Head scene. Hypothetically, of course. — Jedi Crippler, Optimist & Visionary

ANSWER:  We have no plans to pursue a Star Destroyer playset.  It is simply not feasible for us to do.

IMPERIAL SHIPYARDS

QUESTION:  Seeing as a lot of people seem to like the old Kenner color scheme of Han Solo in his Hoth outfit (blue coat!), I'm wondering if there has ever been any thought to making more modern versions of characters based on the Kenner designed color schemes and costumes. You've made Blue Snaggletooth and Hoth Han, but there are still a lot of interesting choices out there as well: Greedo's all green Kenner outfit, Walrusman's orange and blue outfit with flippers, Hammerhead's blue shirt, Anakin Skywalker's grey Jedi robes, and Boba Fett's Kenner colors. These could be some fun variants for collectors thar are nostalgic about the good old days!

ANSWER:  Beyond the legendary ones you have singled out (Snaggletoooth and Han), we think there is a pretty steep drop-off in how "iconic" those really are and think we are better off leaving those rather interesting color choices as vintage curiosities. That is a very interesting idea, but one we probably won't act on...although we have learned to never say never in the world of Star Wars figures!

QUESTION:  Assumimg we see a badly needed update for a hoth rebel soldier, any chance of seeing any more of the Echo base personnel to stand (and please sit as well) alongside our Carlist Rieken, Pharl McQuarrie, and Major Bren Derlin? Command center officers, hangar crew,and Taun taun stable hands would be fantastic. This is one military organization that is sadly under represented in the modern line thus far.

ANSWER:  We will eventually turn our attention to more of the Echo base personnel, but it is looking more like 2010 before we'll see some more new Rebels.

QUESTION:  We've seen a boxed image of the new Dagger Squadron B-Wing, and it looks fantastic. Will there be a pilot included with this item, and if so, can we get a sneak peek at it?

ANSWER:  Huh??? (no answer at all for this question!!!)

JEDIDEFENDER

QUESTION:  Pictures of many new Clone Wars Clone Trooper variants have been popping up lately. One surprise that we just have to ask about - a little birdie says in addition to the Vader/Emperor set, we might also be seeing a Clone Wars Clone Trooper Captain exclusive at SDCC. True? False?

ANSWER:  It is true, and details will be forthcoming from StarWarsOnlineShop.com.

QUESTION:  The detectives out there found the instruction sheet for the TRU exclusive “Dagger Squadron” B-Wing on your website and a small pic of the ship leaked out this week. Since the instruction sheet mentions 4 different members of Dagger Squadron, can you pretty please tell us which pilot is included with the ship? And will they be in a red, white, gray, or orange flight suit?

ANSWER:  [Answer]
(Uh… I think they just forgot to paste in the answer to this one.  Hopefully we’ll get an answer and get this one updated for you soon)

QUESTION:  I’m a huge, huge fan of the Mos Eisley “Cantina Monsters” (as my two little guys call them). I love to get those thirsty alien action figures, so I was wondering - just how excited am I going to get with the upcoming Legacy A New Hope wave? Are we talking just “2 cantina guys” excited or “holy crap - 4 figures including the worm lady” excited?

ANSWER:  I hope you temper your language around your sons when we finally reveal the pictures of this great wave! There will be *four* Cantina denizens in the wave this Fall, two of them coming in one pack. One of the characters will be Lak Sivrak's lover, which should be enough of a hint for you to be doubly excited.

To be continued.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 01:27:12 PM by Gold 5 » Logged

Stabilize your rear deflectors.  Watch for enemy fighters.
Gold 5
War Room Staff
Jedi Council Member

Stay on target!

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 02:38:12 AM »

Hasbro Q&A Roundup - Week of June 20th, 2008 - Part 2

JEDI INSIDER

QUESTION:  Rumors are that a Death Star playset is in the works. Can you confirm this and any details you could share for us on it?

ANSWER:  We can confirm that no Death Star playset is in any stage of development, and nothing has progressed beyond some "what if" discussions and the few models that we created back in 2005. We will not be doing this, at least in the next several years (we still don't know what live action could bring so we won't say never). While some might look at the Millenium Falcon as a ray of hope that we could bring out a Death Star someday, the tooling on a playset is much, much more onerous and not a realistic possibility unless there is current entertainment support to engage kids in the set.

QUESTION:  Will Hasbro have a presence at Celebration Japan this year? Any exclusives planned for this show?

ANSWER:  The Hasbro team will not have a presence at Celebration Japan this year as it Falls the week before Comic-Con International and that is where we are concentrating our efforts. However, TakaraTomy, who distributes our line in Japan, will have a presence and will be showcasing some highlights from the Fall line. TT will be selling for the first time Disturbance in the Force, our HasbroToyShop.com Comic-Con International exclusive, but otherwise will not have any other Hasbro exclusives at the show. TT has let us know they will have one cool exclusive of their own -- a clear R2-D2 as the latest addition to the 3-3/4" scale Micro Droid line. We will not be distributing this one here in the U.S., although StarWarsShop.com might. Details of an early preview can be found at http://www.fantofan.jp/news/event/toyshow2008/report.htm

QUESTION:  With all the clone figures Hasbro has made over the years, is there any chance of doing some type of checklist poster showing them all off?

ANSWER:  That is an interesting idea and would certainly look great. We'll park that one on the back burner as something cool to do - maybe as a virtual poster for the website. Thanks for the suggestion.

JEDI NEWS

QUESTION:  Would you consider the idea of revisiting electronics (similar to the Power FX Range from the mid 90's) or even speech (from the Episode I figures) by way of a small concealed button on the back of a figure that activates the feature?  Obviously these features would add to the cost, in what is already a price sensitive market, but may also add to the appeal for younger fans in term of playability.

ANSWER:  We simply can't afford these electronic features in basic figures, and at higher price points (where we could afford them) we have found that meaningful accessories (speeder bikes, etc) or a value proposition like Battle Packs is more important to consumers that lights and sounds.

QUESTION:  Many people would like to see all the Pod Racers created along with their respective vehicles but I'm guessing this is probably unlikely, even in the long term (please correct me if I'm wrong). However, have you considered doing something along the lines of the trophy assortment though that would allow you to package each Pod Racer with a smaller version of their racing vehicle?  This would make  a great assortment (including those Pod Racers already released) and satisfy a lot of fans.

ANSWER:  We are big pod-racing fans, too!  Part of the magic of the pod-racing sequence is that, just like the alien races that populate Star Wars, the vehicles themselves are all unique and different.  That also makes it very difficult to ever expect that we would do all of them in 3-3/4" scale because the tooling cost required would be formidible and there are no commonalities to take advantage of.  However, we have learned to never say never.... One of the things that has us hopeful to be able to do some in the mid-term (3-4 years) is that we recognize that in several years there will be a big influx of young collectors who grew up experiencing Star Wars on the big screen for the first time during Episode I.  These now-adult "kids" will want things that much their afinity for Star Wars and that will include more EpI entires like Pod Racers.  So while we have no shorter-term plans for the vehicles themselves, we do think we'll get to at least some of them.  As for the trophy idea, it's interesting but we have no plasto go there with accessories that do not add to the figure play.

QUESTION:  Us fans are always keen to read the rumours that circulate around the internet about potential figures, vehicles and, dare I say it, playsets.  Is it frustrating to have your plans leaked (like with the new Millennium Falcon), or maybe can you use it to your advantage as a marketing tool to help generate interest among the fans and raise the level of expectation and to determine demand?

ANSWER:  It's very frustrating, since we would like to roll out the details on our own schedule. In the grand scheme of things it's also a good problem to have.  Intense fan interest and scrutiny of the line means passion and devotion that matches ours, and presents a continuing, powerful opportunity to keep bringing out new things that a few years ago we didn't dream we could deliver.  So it is part of the territory, but territory we are welcome to inhabit.

RAVING TOY MANIAC

QUESTION:  Has there been any talks at Hasbro about cross-pollination or unification of their various properties outside of transformers hybrids or Mighty Muggs? Among Indiana Jones, GI Joe, and Star Wars, each property can benefit from each other's strengths. I would love to see GI Joe's articulation with Star Wars' character selection and discriminating detail (scale, overall correct body proportion, and vintage accuracy) and Indiana Jones' "collect them all" secret gimmick inserts, removable hands, original adventure diaramas, and brilliant vehicle/rider execution. As children, my brother and I loved playing with all of my toys in one imaginary universe. Joe, Super Powers, et al. It's one company, and I know budgets vary, but any chance of this happening?

ANSWER:  We have no plans to change the articulation model of the Star Wars line to match what GI Joe is doing. While the Joe figures are great, we think that the realistic approach we have been following is the best way to accommodate both the aesthetics we are looking for and articulation that makes each figure come alive. It's just a stylistic choice. As for some of the neat features of the IJ line, we have been looking to bring some of them into the Star Wars line, including more vehicle/rider combos (look for them in the Battle Pack lineup starting this Fall) as well as in the long-term the possibility of bringing the dioramas into the vehicle segment. The "collect them all" idea which was started with the 30th Anniversary coins continues in spirit with the Legacy/Droid Factory figures, and from that standpoint the teams have defintely inspired on another to produce running themes that are core to the fantasy of each line and really exicte people to collect them all.

QUESTION:  So, the comic packs are a success in my books. As an EU fan, the inclusion of these packs actually kept me continuing to purchase figures. That said, I realized that perhaps there is more potential for the comic packs than one would consider.

As it stands right now, an approximate retail of $9.99 gets you 2 figures and a comic. But as great as this is, fans are forgetting what $9.99 also used to get us, i.e. deluxe-sized vehicles and accessory packs. So to cut to the chase... How about some comic packs that rather than focus on 2 characters, focus on characters and their vehicles or some other large accessory, or perhaps larger EU characters that are too big for conventional packaging? The potential for it is there, the best example being Jix from Shadows of the Empire. His swoop has already been made (although given to a nameless thug that was produced in-house), and EU fans often have him and other SotE characters listed high on their want lists. Some other examples:

- Boba Fett (Cam Kennedy style) and Speeder Bike from Boba Fett: Bounty on Bar-Kooda
- Dash Rendar and swoop from Shadows of the Empire
- Big Gizz from and swoop from Shadows of the Empire
- Ry-Kooda and his little kronie from Boba Fett: When the Fat Lady Swings
- Celeste Morne and the Sith Torture chamber (plus the locker containing it) from the current Vector mini-series.

ANSWER:  We're glad you share our enthusiam for the comic packs. They are one of our favorite sublines as well, and it's nice to be able to pay homage to some truly legendary Star Wars EU stories. While your idea is a very good one, the days of $9.99 vehicle/figure combos are unfortunately long gone as we just can't get this idea to cost out. We can afford them in Battle Packs because of the economy of scale, but not at the Comic Pack pricepoint. Also, given the expense of the tooling requried for the bikes, it's unlikely that we would tool up these relatively obscure bikes themselves. This will have to remain a wish list dream.

QUESTION:  Three of the most prominent main characters in the expanded universe novels are young female human padawans: Etain (Republic Commando), Starstone (Darth Vader: Rise of the Dark Lord), and Scout (Yoda: Dark Rendezvous). We have never seen a young human female padawan that could be used to fill the role of any of these important characters. Will we ever see a generic female padawan figure? Also, what about human male younglings, such as the ones Anakin kills in Revenge of the Sith? We've had youngling figures in the past, but they were aliens.

ANSWER:  Interesting suggestion. There are some new human younglings coming in 2009 in a very special pack, including at least one female. However, they will not be on basic figure cards. More details will be available in early-to-mid 2009.

REBELSCUM

QUESTION:  The Clone Wars figures we've seen so far look great. Do you currently have any plans to produce similarly 'formatted' (quasi-animated) versions of non Clone Wars characters? If not, is this something you might consider for the future? Naturally some collectors and fans will begin with the TCW line because of the movie release; might they want to stick with figures of that style?

ANSWER:  We have no plans to produce Clone Wars style versions of the OTC characters unless they happen to appear in the animation. We are using our figure slots to continue to add figures to match the incredibly rich entertainment.

QUESTION:  Now that we know Saga Legends will continue into The Legacy Collection, and having seen the (seemingly) first wave comprised largely of major Clone Wars-era players, will there be a conscious effort to get some older Clone Wars-related figures back out on the market through Legends? This especially pertains to figures that have been off the shelves for a long while (non battle-damaged Durge, broken-horn Saesee Tiin, IG MagnaGuards, Foul Moudama) as well as more recent figures that have been popular or harder to find (Roron Corobb, Volviff Monn). Is there any desire to, in the future, impose some sort of "theme" on the Legends waves as there is with the main line?

ANSWER:  The figures you mention, except for Saesee Tiin and the Magnaguards, are much more obscure and we would not slot them into the Saga Legends line, which is meant to be strictly a kid-targeted line that all countries around the world can run and have recognizable characters that are core to the Star Wars entertainment. We won't be changing out the figures all that much except to rotate some troops and Jedi in or out....this will be a slightly different Saga Legends than we have known it to be in the sense of just focusing on the "best of the best."

QUESTION:  It seems that each wave for 2008 is made up of 8 figures, which means there will be 2 astromech droids for the B.A.D.s. This means that there aren't any protocol droids (since they would be part of a wave of 6 figures). While we understand any rumor lists that pop up are just that...rumors only...when can protocol droid lovers look forward to building one?

ANSWER:  Waves 3 and 4 will feature protocol droids...actually two different versions of the Death Star Droid/RA-7 model. Names will be released later when we announce the waves at Comic Con.

To be continued.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 07:33:54 PM by Gold 5 » Logged

Gold 5
War Room Staff
Jedi Council Member

Stay on target!

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 10:54:08 AM »

Hasbro Q&A Roundup - Week of June 20th, 2008 - PART 3

SANDTROOPERS

QUESTION:  Dear Hasbro, why is the hair on the upcoming Clone Wars Commander Rex figure white? He is a clone of Jango Fett, correct? If he isn't a clone, is there an explanation coming?

ANSWER:  There is an explanation coming, but it won't be from us.  Instead, look for an upcoming web-doc from Lucasfilm (with Supervising Director Dave Feloni) explaining the approach that Lucasfilm has taken to the Clones for the new animated The Clone Wars series.  Many great questions are answered including the expression of personality that we are starting to see as Clones take a prominent role in the action.

QUESTION:  First of all, I would just like to say that I really liked the vintage line and I hope that you will be bringing it back soon. Now for the question. Over the past couple Q&A's there have been questions from various sites about new figures from the Ewoks and Droids TV series. I agree that I would like to see some of these, but I understand that they probably wouldn't appeal to everyone. Since you said that they wouldn't be in a basic figure line, could these possibly work better in a Vintage line? I may be wrong here, but I'm guessing that the appeal of the vintage line is mostly to older collectors who remember buying figures back in the '70's and '80's, but not so much to kids because of the higher pricepoint and not having the nostalgia factor for them. Vintage could also be a good place to release a few figures from some of the other TV shows like the Ewok movies and maybe some cantina aliens from the Holiday Special. All of these would be figures that would appeal a lmost exclusively to adult collectors, so what better place to put them than in an EU branch of the Vintage line! But if you don't think this could work, could you please give us a hint as to where these kinds of figures could possibly appear someday?

ANSWER:  Vintage would not be a good format for this approach because Ewoks and Droids had such a drastically different line look.  To be true to the roots would contradict the black/silver vintage motiff that is crucial to vintage, or would not be strong figure choices when faced with the best ones we could make to continue Vintage.  The best format, if we ever did packs based on these series, would likely be as exclusives somewhere.  Right now we actually don't have any plans to go to these series, but will look at the possibility (with Lucasfilm) to see if it makes sense sometime.

QUESTION:  Any chance of seeing a clean version of the X-Wing in the $20 vehicles line any time soon? This is one of the most iconic vehicles of the OT and all we have seen of it the last couple of years is the ToysRUs exclusive Dagobah version which is dirty. With several X-Wing pilots coming out I for one would like more X-Wings for them to fly.

ANSWER:  Not a chance, unfortunately. The X-Wing is a much, much more expensive vehicle than the $20 series can afford, and the only way to get it out again would be in a larger format like an exclusive.  We are hopeful that we'll be able to get a version out by the end of 2009.

SIR STEVE'S GUIDE

QUESTION:  For years, fans have wanted a resizing/upgrading of the Millennium Falcon and, HOORAY!, now Hasbro has delivered one. Hypothetically, under ideal circumstances, what other vehicles would Hasbro consider resizing/upgrading? What would it take, under this train of thought, for Hasbro to resize the AT-AT, for example?

ANSWER:  The AT-AT would be a cool one to do, and we have thought about it, but nothing really beyond that until we have results from this Fall. But it sure is nice to dream about a new one. Beyond that, there are a couple others we'd like to take a crack at, but aren't near the huge size of the Millenium Falcon.

QUESTION:  The recent Clone Trooper and Rebel Trooper role-play blasters are pretty cool. With that in mind, will Hasbro be offering more role-play weapons such as all-new sculpts of Han's blaster, the Stormtrooper blaster (with more accurate size and folded stock under the barrel), Biker Scout pistol, and perhaps even larger ones like the Hoth Rebel rifle and Clone Trooper long rifle? (Please discuss the specific possibilities of each of the examples in this question.)

ANSWER:  Sorry for the blanket answer, but since none of these blasters are present in the Clone Wars animation, we do not have plans to pursue them. Our role play efforts are really focused on trying to match what on-screen opportunities the entertainment brings (last year's Rebel Trooper blaster notwithstanding).

QUESTION:  With 2 of the finalists in the most recent Saga Legends fans choice poll being from the Battle of Geonosis - Pablo-Jill and Coleman Trebor - might Hasbro consider releasing a second Battlepack focused on the Geonosis Arena battle containing those 2 figures? Pablo-Jill could use some actual leg articulation and this would be a good time to add it to the figure, you could also include a retooled Nikto Jedi (his actual name is Fi-ek Sirch) since he was in the scene but the figure was nearly unarticulated, and of course the prerequisite core characters that each Battlepack needs. This would make a nice counterpart to the first Geonosis Battlepack, plus it'd get some popular figures re-released.

ANSWER:  That is a pretty good idea for a Battle Pack, but we won't be doing it for reasons that will be seen next year. At least one of those characters will be updated in 2009, and we would like to do more if possible as the Arena is one of our favorite scenes. Stay tuned for more details next year.

STAR WARS ACTION NEWS

QUESTION:  We know that in '09 we will be seeing a Kyle Kattarn figure in a comic pack. Given that this is likely from the comic Equals and Opposites, might we be getting our first Yuuzhan Vong figure in that pack as well?

QUESTION:  HasbroToyShop.com is often the last oasis for the desperate who cannot find one of more figures in stores, but I've not seen updates there for the final five Saga Legends figures. Given their scarcity in stores, might HTS.com be getting those soon?

QUESTION:  Is there a chance that still in '08 we might see a release of a Jumptrooper that comes with a jet pack?

ANSWERS:   LISTEN TO THE SWAN PODCAST FOR ANSWERS!

SW COLLECTOR

QUESTION:  Maris Brood ... looks cool as a figure, but was there any hesitation over her rather skimpy top? There have been characters with more revealing outfits made into STAR WARS figures, true, but given the grief some toy companies have received over scantily-clad female action figures (Jean Grey and Storm from the first X-MEN film being a recent example), did the figure cause any concerns at Hasbro?

ANSWER:  None whatsoever, and we have received no complaints about it.

QUESTION:  We had a 300th figure Boba Fett and a 500th Figure Darth Vader. With a 1000th figure already surpassed, are such numbering milestones a thing of the past, or can we look foward to a 1500th figure Special Edition?

ANSWER:  Milestones are most likely a thing of the past. Although we have yet to do an official tally, we and fans have pretty much confirmed we're past the thousand mark. The 1,000th figure would have been important to commemorate, but anything after that doesn't seem as significant.

QUESTION:  The Sith Legacy Evolutions set seems primed for a sequel, now that Darth Zannah was revealed on the cover of DARTH BANE: THE RULE OF TWO. It could also be a great opportunity to introduce figures of Darth Bandon and a Sith Trooper from KOTOR I & II. While some might argue the characters are too obscure, it seems just about anything KOTOR or Sith-related is popular, true?

ANSWER:  The Sith set has certainly been a smash hit, but we did not plan for continuation of the line beyond this year, so we did not prepare a sequel. It is likely that the line will continue into spring 2009, and we are looking at ways of making that a possibility, but the lead time precludes us from doing all-new sets. If we ever bring back Evolutions, some or all of the characters you suggest would make great candidates. Of all the Star Wars videogames, KOTOR, TFU, and Battlefront seem to have earned the most intense figure interest.

To be continued.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 07:34:25 PM by Gold 5 » Logged

Gold 5
War Room Staff
Jedi Council Member

Stay on target!

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 07:33:14 PM »

Hasbro Q&A Roundup - Week of June 20th, 2008 - PART 4

THE JAWA

QUESTION:  Normally figures with snap-on armor are not something I care for (due to the compromised articulation and the often non-neutral pose) but I was very happy with the recent TAC Jango Fett with removeable armor. He had great articulation, a totally neutral arm and leg pose, and thin snap-on armor that didn't "bulk up" the overall figure. Great job Hasbro!  I am now wondering (requesting) if we might get a similar Boba Fett with the same quality articulation and thin armor somewhere down the road?

Also, I wasn't so happy with the red fatigues training clone which actually retained many of the issues which originally soured me on removable armor figures: lack of articulation, a bizarre non-neutral leg pose, and an inability to sit (and have lunch with his fellow clones!). I realize the odds are slim in the immediate future, but will Hasbro revisit this character and give him SA and soft skirt piece? I would have loved to have bought a few training clones to make a Kamino diorama but this current version didn't really make the cut.

ANSWER:  Unlikely that we'll see either of these versions any time soon. The Boba figure seems like a natural, but is tough simply because there isn't an on-screen or even EU version of Boba without armor based on our notes (if fans know of something, please give us the feedback).  As for the Clone, we were pleased we could bring him out as we did.  This was an expensive figure for us to do since there was such a high piece count, and it's highly unlikely we'll ever do a basic figure upgrade to SA.  If we ever do a non-basic figure (battle pack, etc) your suggestion would certainly have merit and we'll keep it in mind.

QUESTION:  Previously you mentioned that the comic book-style coloring in the Marvel packs was something that was popular with customers. However, I think that the reaction on a few forums to the upcoming Fenn Shysa and Tobbi figures, as well as to the red-cape Lando with blue-arms Stormtrooper would suggest that this niche approach can be adhered to a little too overzealously by Hasbro. There have indeed been some neat figures to come out of this style: the white R2-D2, the Marvel Boba Fett, and purple RA-7. But then we also have seen blue-tinted Stormtrooper Luke/Han (which you did eventually reissue without the blue) and now Day-Glo green and orange Fenn and Tobbi.

It's worth noting that R2 and Boba are desirable because they are neat variants of already-existing figures that were available in the realistic paintjobs FIRST but collectors complain bitterly when unique figures like Stormtrooper Luke and Han which some have waited for a long time, show up first in non-realistic styles.

And worse, when characters like Fenn and Tobbi, which might never be released again, are seemingly only going to be shipped in really ugly green and oranges when it'd be more desirable for Hasbro to take an approach similar to the Animated Debut Boba Fett: faithful to the source, but not overly saturated and cartoonish. If Hasbro simply said: "Don't worry, we will indeed release Fenn and Tobbi in more realistic style in a few months after" this would probably alleviate some complaints (regardless of how much I want these characters, I would not buy the comic book paint versions even if a realistically-painted versions were never to come, so Hasbro loses a sale by only offering this version).  Some choices are also a bit odd: why blue-arm Stormtroopers?  As much as I'd love to buy a red-caped Lando, I am stopped by the fact that I'd end up with an odd Stormtrooper that doesn't fit in with my existing army builders of Stormies, and am thus paying a premium for a Lando figure that typically ends up pegwarming. The blue-armed trooper causes Hasbro to lose out a sale.

Given all this, why not simply make it policy that we will always get a running change from comic to realistic paintjobs for these Marvel packs (which are cheap to do since it's just a repaint) and guarantee a sale from customers such as myself who normally won't buy the comic-book styled figures? Or with a character as popular as Lumiya, you'd probably sell both versions to someone like myself.

ANSWER:  We know there is fan chatter about the Marvel series, and while some boards may not embrace the coloration, others want us to continue exploring the Marvel source material as we have been doing for a portion of the comic line. Whether some fans like it or not, the coloration in the Marvel series is part of the EU canon, evocative of the charm of the post-movie era, when the comics were the only storytelling around.  Due to this importance in the EU universe, and the nostalgia they evince and interesting characters they introduce, a good portion of the collector-base seems to appreciate this approach .

It is certainly not our intent or charter to reinterpret the EU canon, but rather we embrace it as part of the amazingly rich comic storytelling history of Star Wars. Therefore we (with Lucasfilm) have decided to be true to the source material and that means using the coloring that the creative teams at the time (with Lucasfilm) chose for those characters.  That leads to your second question: Doing alternate versions of these characters.  It's an interesting thought, but highly unlikely that we will have the luxury to do these characters a second time - instead spending our product "slots" on new packs.  With the item count constraints we have, we feel lucky to be able to bring out the variety we have been, and strive to make each one "definitive" since it's likely the only chance we'll get for many of these characters.  Thanks as always for the interest and questions on comic packs; they are certainly one of the most talked-about of all the Star Wars sublines and we appreciate the passion.

QUESTION:  I was wondering if Hasbro will ever do a remake of anakin as a boy.  A super articulated one that comes with his pod racing helmet and and seethreepio w/ head and torso?

ANSWER:  It is likely that we will get to a new EpI Anakin at some point, but so far we haven't slotted him in to the lineup yet.

THE PRIVATE UNIVERSE

QUESTION:  Images of the Toys R Us exclusive Dagger squadron B-Wing fighter are popping up online, with speculation of what figures may be due also, can you give us anything more concrete to whet our appetites for more EU figures?

ANSWER:  No comments.

QUESTION:  Have you considered the opening scene in the Temple of Doom, for a possible 2009 wave? I think a Tux Indy, Lao Che and his sons and Willie in her performance outfit would fit in great with this fantastic line! Just curious if this is on your radar.

ANSWER:  Those are indeed great selections and very close to what we are planning for a 2009 Temple of Doom wave. More details will come later in the year!

QUESTION:  A mock up of the long rumored Disturbance at the Lars Homestead has turned up. Now this mock up is showing the POTF 2 Owen Lars, is the Owen going to be replaced with a new one? That mold is old and doesn't hold up compared to the new figures. Is the igloo dome plastic and does it have a removable top or anything inside? Finally, can you possibly through in the crispy Owen and Beru skeletons in there as an accessory? After all, you have released skeletons and crispy characters before (Amanaman's accessory and Sith Anakin).  Thanks again for letting us have the opportunity to ask questions.

ANSWER:  To be honest, this was a bear of set for us to produce and our expense is tied up in the homestead itself, so even though we wanted to, we could not get the figures updated (the alternative was never doing the set at all).
The dome is injection-molded plastic and there is a table on the inside fastened to the base. The crispy skeletons are not included... we aren't planning to do them.

YAKFACE

QUESTION:  Dear Hasbro, the Droid Factory Han Solo and R-3PO 2-packs have made it into the hands of collectors most recently due to its availability on Wal-mart's website. Interestingly, loose images of R-3PO have surfaced (on The Jawa.com) showing a vac-metalized finish while many people (including myself) have a purely red molded version. Can you confirm or dispel the existence of the vac-metal version being produced or is the non-vac version the "official" product?

ANSWER:  They sent back this question unanswered, I'll see if we can't get a response

QUESTION:  Dear Hasbro, what procedural checks/sign offs do figures go through to ensure that figures include the right accessories, namely the proper matching of lightsabers to their characters or do you hope things like this go unnoticed to kids or the "casual" collectors?

Errors seemed to have plagued Luke Skywalker figures in particular:

VTSC X-Wing Pilot:
- Wrong sculpt hilt (Vader's hilt) attached to belt

Luke Skywalker (Hoth Gear) from TAC ESB Commemorative Tin
- Wrong sculpt hilt (Vader's hilt)

TAC#12 Yavin Ceremony:
- Running change to fake proper lightsaber by repainting wrong sculpt (Vader hilt)

TAC#18 Moisture Farmer:
- Wrong sculpt hilt (Anakin's Episode II hilt) attached to belt

Luke Skywalker (Hoth Gear) from TRU Exclusive Hoth Patrol Battle Pack:
- Wrong sculpt hilt (Vader's hilt)

Luke Skywalker (Snowspeeder Pilot) from Target Exclusive Battle of Hoth Battle Pack:
- Wrong ignited lightsaber (Obi-Wan Kenobi's lightsaber)

X-Wing Pilot from Wal-Mart Droid Factory 2 Pack:

ANSWER:  We have procedures and LFL approval at every step of our design & production process. Unfortunately, sometimes mistakes still have unfortunately occurred. Sometimes it is just do to the volume of product that is being created and things slip through. Others times, it is a factory error and the time it takes to catch an error, some product has already produced. Other times, it come down to making choices of shipping a something that is 99% correct or not shipping it at all. With specific regards to the Luke lightsaber: At this small scale, Luke’s and Vader’s hilts are nearly identical. We had asked the factory to use Vader’s hilt
but the deco variations was between the two versions were not understood by the factory and they just used Vader’s exact hilt. We later caught and corrected the mistake, but some of the production run had occurred. Then, when we did the the next version we specified the previously used Luke but the factory copied the original, incorrect version of the decorated handle instead of the newly corrected version. We have no idea how Luke got Obi-Wan’s lightsaber. That may always remain a mystery.

QUESTION:  What's the rationale behind including a repaint of the AOTC pilot in the new Imperial Pilots Evolution Set? Wouldn't something of that nature be better suited for a Battle Pack or is it a new sculpt? The reason I find this frustrating is it seems a V-Wing pilot would be great for this set; especially considering that we already have a V-Wing, but no pilots for it as of yet.

ANSWER:  We did not have reference for a V-Wing pilot to do this set, but there will be a V-Wing pilot coming in Spring 2009 in a second Evolution pilots pack. Stay tuned!

YODAS NEWS

QUESTION:  I'm really excited about the upcoming Padme releases. The Evolutions set looks awesome, and the updated Snowbunny Padme is sure to be a winner in the eyes of fans everywhere!

If these Padme releases do well, do you have any more Padmes in the holding tank? This is one character in the Prequel Trilogy that is shown wearing more outfits than I have pairs of underwear in my dresser at home! What I would most specifically like to see is some kind of collector's set or other where she could be sculpted in some various senatorial type of outfits, since we don't have any Senator Amidala figures to date. And being that Leia is her daughter, I would really love to see her released with the "buns" hair style she sports in ROTS. Do I hope too much?

ANSWER:  We have said that we'd like to do one "film" Padme a year if we can, and we do have plans for a new Queen figure in 2009. Sorry, no senator figure just yet, but those will be sure to come in future years. One thing about Padme we advocate is patience, as we think it will be rewarded. We won't be doing more Evolution-type Padme sets any time soon, where we deliver three new figures at once, but the basic figure model is what we're looking at to keep growing the Padme ranks organically. Great idea on the buns....we will look to that one down the road as well.

QUESTION:  Pictures have recently surfaced showing some of the later 2008 figures on the new Legacy Collection packaging, numbered GH#. What is the criteria to make it as a Greatest Hit figure and how do they differ form the Saga Legends? Will these 'Greatest Hits' figures be packaged in the same case assortment as the Legacy Collection basic figures?

ANSWER:  Great question. Saga Legends is designed as a kid-first targeted line that is a solution to a need-based problem that we can use across the world to get the best and most-in-demand figures out there in constant availability. The idea is that Saga Legends both complement the new Clone Wars animation (with versions of Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, R2-D2, etc.) as well as generally ensure that many of the most popular Saga characters are available for kids. As with the vast majority of the previous Saga Legends line, there will be no changes to the figures themselves, but will just "carry forward" in new packaging. While there will be changes to the Legends lineup with time, the figures that we rotate in will be the best of the best. This may include troops like Shock Troopers, 501st, and other classic Clones that collectors like, but these effectively hit a dual audience.

The GH or "greatest hits" figures serve the similar purpose of adding core character strength to the Legacy/Droid Factory lineup, but here we have looked to figures that kids would also be interested in, but could also still have some collector demand as well (Felucia Troopers, TFU Vader, etc.), but ultimately will not be available all year like Saga Legends.

QUESTION:  Will the packaged "Build A Droid" droid parts be completely random, or will each figure come with a specific part?

ANSWER:  Each figure will come with a Droid Factory part that is specifically assigned and there will not be random packout. As figures carry-forward from wave to wave - for instance the Vader figure with the 3-part helmet from Wave 1, which will be in multiple future waves - the droid part will change to the new wave's droid part (on the surface, this could look random with Vader eventually available with several different parts over time, but it is all scripted out). This means that the droids will only "exist" in the wave they ship in (i.e. R4-D6 and R7-Z0 are only available in Wave 1, etc).

Also, to remind fans once again on the strategy, if you just wanted to get one of each of all the droid parts to build all the different droids available, you can just pick up each of the new-release figures in the original wave they ship (the "BD" series figures, BD-1, BD-2, and so on) and skip the Greatest Hits ("GH" figures). If you just bought every BD figure, you would get every new-release figure and every droid part to build each droid. The GH series will have redundant parts to the BD series figures and completists can skip the GH series if they choose.

Keep checking back for more updates as they're filed.

Gold 5
War Room Staff
Jedi Council Member

Stay on target!

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 07:48:35 PM »

Hasbro Q&A Roundup - Week of June 20th, 2008 - INDIANA JONES EDITION

ACTION FIGS.COM

QUESTION:  What are the chances of getting stands or bases for the Indiana Jones figures, maybe as HasbroToyShop exclusives? Some of the figures (seems most notably the ones from KOTCS) have a hard time standing on their own without a lot of futzing.

ANSWER:  Stands will be produced and included for all of the new 2009 IJ figures. We will look for a way to make additional stands available to fans if we can.

QUESTION:  Regarding the Indy line, photos have surfaced from Entertainment Earth of the Deluxe Mutt Williams w/ Motorcycle. The figure appears to come with sculpted-on sunglasses (which he never wore) yet without the hat that Mutt wore in the film. Will the actual production Deluxe set come with the hat? Was the figure based on film-inaccurate production stills or something similar?

ANSWER:  The figure was based on the reference that was available to us at the time.

QUESTION:  Now that Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull has opened, some fans would like a full compliment of 13 Crystal Skeletons w/ thrones. Will we ever see the Skeleton w/ throne offered at mass retail, once the mail-in offer ends? Perhaps in a Deluxe 2-Pack, maybe with another army builder such as the Russian Soldier also from KotCS?

ANSWER:  We will not be offering the crystal skeleton at retail. It is strictly confined to the mail-in offer.

COOL TOY REVIEW

QUESTION:  Checking out the SDCC exclusive Cobra Commander for G.I. Joe, the body looks suspiciously like the outfit worn by Donovan at the end of The Last Crusade. Is this in fact a sneak peek at this potential figure?

ANSWER:  Sharp, sharp observation! Indeed it is, indeed it is. We have negotiated the first three way figure trade in the history of toy lines, loaning Donovan's body to the GI Joe team, who sent the Crystal Ball tooling to Star Wars to become Talon Karrde, and who in turn sent real Stormtroopers to Indy to replace the bumbling German ones. OK, we kid about the last two. Anyway - great catch!

QUESTION:  Will the hidden relics hidden inside the crates continue on into 2009? We love the added element of both the relic itself, and the crate it comes in is a nice way to build up Area 51 scenes.

ANSWER:  The relics will end with Wave 4 this year, and will be replaced by figure bases for all of the new figures in 2009.

QUESTION:  For the Ultra Titanium Series fans: will Indy take a risk on die-cast vehicles in this scale?

ANSWER:  We will not be developing any Ultra vehicles for IJ. We suspect that the IJ line will not have quite as many followers as the pretty expansive Star Wars Titanium line, who in turn were not enough to sustain the very expensive Ultra line. So we'll just concentrate on the main assortment.

INDIANA JONES COLLECTORS

QUESTION:  I know they originally said that the Last Crusade figures were due out in July, but now everywhere I look, it sounds like they'll be out sometime in June? When should we start to look for these on the pegs?

ANSWER:  The exact date a wave arrives at retail is always tricky to pin down since when we forecast dates we allow time for shipment and dissemination from retail distribution centers in sizeable quantities. It's always possible that some retailers can get a small quantity out faster, and figures could start showing up by the end of the months. Based on our latest schedules they are on the water and due to land any day now in the States, and will find their way to retail in the next few weeks.

QUESTION:  Well now that I have all of the 12" figures that are out, I'm anxiously awaiting the new batch!!! I know that Dovchenko will be released from KOTCS, but can you fill us in on what is next in the 12" line? I would love to see:

RAIDERS: Sallah, Belloq, Katanga, German mechanic

TEMPLE: Mola Ram, Chether Lal, Indy in tux, Thugee, Lao Che

CRUSADE: Henry Jones, Sr., Indy, Walter Donovan, Grail Knight

KOTCS: Irina Spalko, Mac, Ugha Warrior, Crystal Skeleton

Any scoop? Preview Pics? Updates?

ANSWER:  More goodness awaits for those who are patient! At least four of those are planned by ealy 2009, so hang in there. More details will be revealed at Comic-Con International.

QUESTION:  We've heard talks of Indiana Jones Battle Packs. Which movies and or scenes will be represented in the battle packs? Will they be just standard figure battle packs, or can we expect other accessories like we see with some of the Star Wars Battle Packs. Opening of the Ark Battle Pack with Ark ghosts would be way cool!

ANSWER:  Details on the initial Battle Packs, which will be retailer exclusives, will be revealed at Comic-Con International. Like our first Star Wars Battle Packs, the IJ Battle Packs will start out with primarily existing character decos, delivered in a combination that makes a complete play pattern for kids and kids alike.

TOY NEWS INTERNATIONAL

QUESTION:  Will there be a Indiana Jones figure in civi prof clothes released for the 3 3/4" line?

ANSWER:  We actually have not slotted that one into the line yet, but there are several more tantalizing IJ figures to come in 2009.

QUESTION:  Any chance of doing 6" Indiana Jones figures in the future?

ANSWER:  We have no plans to go to this format. Perhaps if there are additional movies in Indy's future we would look to this scale, but for now we are sticking with the scales that we have already uncorked.

QUESTION:  We've seen Temple Of Doom Adventure Heroes, when can we expect to see 3 3/4" ones?

ANSWER:  The 3-3/4" ToD assortment will be on shelves in approximately late September. It's a great wave, and details will be shown at Comic-Con International.

WELL OF THE SOULS

QUESTION:  You have indicated plans for one wave from each movie for this year. Will future waves in 09 (and beyond) continue to be broken down by movie or will there be a mixture? Which brings me to another point: there seems to be some concern about the actual "longevity" of this Indy line. I'm sure that you would like to have at least 1 Indy figure in every wave that gets released, regardless of movie theme or even if it branched out into EU territory like books/comics/video games/etc. Indy would still have to be the "anchor" of the wave. However, Indy is pretty much a one trick pony, as he simply wears the same classic jacket/fedora in every appearance, with only a few minor changes every now and then. How many times can you expect to keep putting out basically the same Indy figure wave after wave, or do you have something in mind that will change it up? And please, no more action features! How many waves do you see this line achieving before you start to run out of characte rs and have to really start scraping the bottom of the barrel? Unfortunately this isn't a franchise like Star Wars or G I Joe that has literally hundreds of characters.

ANSWER:  You are right on all counts. We do look to keep the waves themed, but at some point they will start to get pretty thin and cater to just collectors unless we keep the Indy figures (and also Mutt) active. There are still some great Indy figures to do, although none as iconic perhaps as the classic ones we have done first, so we will continue to make sure that those versions are carried forward in future waves since this is the version that kids will continue to want. There are a suprisingly strong number of supporting characters and troop-builder types to be able to draw from that collectors will appreciate, but the line will only be able to continue as long as we are able to get a strong numerical base of collectors and retain kid interest from the KotCS movie and DVD and other forms of IJ entertainment. We're still figuring that all out, but we're optimistic that we'll have a great 2009 as well with Indy. Beyond that, it's a little early to speculate.

QUESTION:  Question about the pegholes in the feet... they seem to be around the same size as the Star Wars/GI Joe pegs, but yet those stands don't seem to fit in there. Why the change in size? And do you plan to release some kind of stands for these? Along those same lines, can collectors expect some kind of protective cases eventually?

ANSWER:  Some of the IJ figures had unintentionally shallow foot peg holes, so they did not fit on Star Wars figure stands (this happens occasionally with Star Wars figures as well, but sometimes these things just slip through the checks). This should be updated in the figures as a running change so they would all be able to fit, and we can confirm that the latest waves are being created with the deeper peg hole. Stands are in the works as a replacement for the relics in 2009. We have no plans to do collectible cases for the IJ basic figures, since the number we have to produce is simply too great to justify for IJ.

QUESTION:  With 4 waves of figures confirmed for 2008, do you have anything else coming out this year? Any other surprises in store? And how many figures can we expect year to year? Also, do you have plans to stagger the Indy and Star Wars releases somewhat, since a lot of people who buy one line will buy the other?

ANSWER:  There should be about 28 basic figures out this year through Wave 4. While we are trying to get new figures out as fast as we can, they won't be ready until 2009. As for surprises? There will be a couple of announcements at Comic-Con International for new items and hopefully we'll be able to show a sneak peak to 2009. We haven't really tried to stagger Star Wars and IJ for the back half of the year since beyond the first waves, schedules can be an imprecise science!

Keep checking back for more updates as they arrive.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Themes

Permanent?
TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc