Poll
Question: Are you interested in participating in a JTA Droid Factory Swap Meet?
Yes – I have extra parts I would love to donate and I also need parts to complete other droids. - 22 (84.6%)
Maybe – I would like to trade parts but I don’t have extra parts to add to the bank. - 4 (15.4%)
No – I am so over Droid Factory figures. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Droid Factory Swap Meet  (Read 629 times)
Rogue3
War Room Command
Jedi Council Member

Cowboy Force!

« on: July 16, 2011, 09:30:20 AM »

Jedi Temple Archives would like to try (on a trial basis for now) a Build A Droid part swap meet for collectors, very similar to what Hasbro did for kids and collectors at Celebration V. To get things started, we are looking to have collectors who have extra parts lying around to send them to us so we can get a great catalogue of parts. And then we would move forward with some sort of trade system, like part for part, but no cash exchange at all. Is this something that interests you? Either way, please let us know your thoughts on this by voting “Yes” or “No”. Once we determine there is an interest, we’ll move forward and come up with come easy protocol for all to follow.

Please discuss to figure out other possible ways, such as instead of shipping them to us you can post your parts here and do direct trades.

darth_apathy
Jedi Master

Just the Rebels sir...they're here

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 01:07:32 PM »

I am so up for this. This is a brilliant idea.

My God man do they want tea?
sjefke
Youngling

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »

Grin
I am so happy I checked jta just now.  I was literally about to drop a $20 for droid parts on ebay right this moment.  Thank you Paul Harrison!  You advised me to save my bad parts a year ago in questions because things were in the works. Cheesy

I want a left leg and arm for BG-J38 and a head for R5-C7 and have plenty of interesting parts to trade. Cool

My god!  It's full of stars.
andyhebert
Padawan

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:40:42 PM »

I like the idea. I just don't have many spare parts anymore so I don't know if I'd be able to participate often. I have traded most of them away by now unless I thought I would use them later on (very few). Some parts I have I don't know the droid it belongs to.

Direct trading would be easiest, I think. People can make a deal through the forum and exchange personal info in private. But there would have to be a way to leave feedback on trades as well so everyone else can get a feel for who is good to trade with with and who might not be.

Sending them to a "bank" would start to get confusing on how many someone donated to the bank so that they might get an equal number of parts in return. And if there is a bank, who pays to pack and ship the parts out?

Andy
MaceWinfield
Youngling

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 11:10:28 PM »

I was able to complete a few of my BADs by swapping on a Missouri SW Collectors Board.  I would probably never go to a convention that might have Hasbro sponsored swap booths, so I think this is a great idea.

Personally, I'm a right leg short of completing R4-P44 and was never interested in Pirate Ki-Adi.  I also don't want to pay a premium for a BAD and would even be open to doing uneven trades to get the parts I need.
ScruffyLookin
Youngling

Do or Do Not. There is no Try.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »

I think the notion of a swap meet is an excellent idea!!! I have at least 6 or 7 astromech legs, 4 astromech heads, and 1 or 2 astromech trunks I'd love to trade! Also I'm in favor of the "direct trade" method (not the bank idea) with a dedicated feedback/parts page.
darth_apathy
Jedi Master

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »

I was thinking about this topic again. The parts bank may be the way to go and here is why. In a direct trade Person A may need a part and sees that Person B has said piece. Person B might not want any of the parts Person A has to offer for the pieces they have. It may be possible that with a bank Person A will get the parts they need given by Person B and Person B can gets parts from Person C.

The only obstacle here would be if multiple people are looking for the same parts, who would get it first? First come first serve?

Just a thought

JediEmpire66
Youngling

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:56:54 PM »

I really hope that we can do this. I have so many parts that I can give and I need alot aswell. So lets make it happen JTA.  Smiley
darthpaul1974
War Room Staff
Youngling

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 10:41:03 PM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I honestly cannot believe the lack of interest in this idea. We have only had 50 people even check out this forum post so far, but maybe less is more, especially in the beginning. Let's see how the next few days go.

Paul Harrison
andyhebert
Padawan

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 11:13:56 PM »

I was thinking about this topic again. The parts bank may be the way to go and here is why. In a direct trade Person A may need a part and sees that Person B has said piece. Person B might not want any of the parts Person A has to offer for the pieces they have. It may be possible that with a bank Person A will get the parts they need given by Person B and Person B can gets parts from Person C.

The only obstacle here would be if multiple people are looking for the same parts, who would get it first? First come first serve?

Just a thought

Good point! But that still means someone has to be the "banker". Will donating parts mean including a small fee to cover shipping parts back out? The banker can't be responsible for the costs of packing and shipping. Someone would also have to be the banker keeping track of who donates parts and the amount of parts they are owed. If person A donates three parts but only sees two he needs in the bank, the banker needs to keep track that Person A is still owed one part.

Andy
darth_apathy
Jedi Master

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 03:40:44 PM »

Either way it is done, a big question is "are all parts created equal?" should a parts availability (or lack thereof) determine its value or are all parts the same value. I would like that all parts have the same value.
Not trying to cause any friction but I could see where someone may feel that certain parts are more valuable because they were harder to obtain due to poor distribution and exclusiveness.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:55:58 PM by darth_apathy » Logged

andyhebert
Padawan

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 07:29:45 PM »

It did take me almost 2 years to obtain arms for C-3PX. Just the arms. And they hardly showed up on Ebay. When they did it was with the whole figure for high coin!

Andy
darthpaul1974
War Room Staff
Youngling

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »

Either way it is done, a big question is "are all parts created equal?" should a parts availability (or lack thereof) determine its value or are all parts the same value. I would like that all parts have the same value.
Not trying to cause any friction but I could see where someone may feel that certain parts are more valuable because they were harder to obtain due to poor distribution and exclusiveness.

This brings up a great point I wanted to make. I think a BAD like HK-47 or BG-J38 should be a ratio of 1 HK-47/BG-J38 part for 2 or 3 other parts. Is that too much?

Paul Harrison
darthpaul1974
War Room Staff
Youngling

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »

Here is a link to all the available completed droids. Someone emailed me and wanted to see a complete list of the figures in this swap meet. Keep in mind that both the Defense of Hoth set comes up because of the Build A Droid K-3PO and R5-D4 comes up because he's all Build A Droid parts.
http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=JReviews&rop=search&query=build_a_droid

Paul Harrison
darth_apathy
Jedi Master

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 05:30:12 PM »

This brings up a great point I wanted to make. I think a BAD like HK-47 or BG-J38 should be a ratio of 1 HK-47/BG-J38 part for 2 or 3 other parts. Is that too much?

BG-J38 was the exact parts I was referring to. That is the ONLY parts that I want/need (5 of them-everything but the leg that came with Utris M'toc). I would vote for possibly a 2 to 1 on BG-J38/HK-47 but not 3 to 1. I say that not only because they're ones I need but in the case of BG-J38 they were packed with other figures besides the EU figures so there would have been a better chance to get those parts. I can remember still seeing BG parts packed with Obi Wan and Luke at TRU as late as Thanksgiving of last year.

Here is another question to go with this one. If someone had a complete figure (BG-J38/HK-47) and we went with the 2 to 1 ratio, would that be two complete figures required to trade for the one? Would it be a straight swap? 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Themes

Permanent?
TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc